Five for Friday


It's the end of the school year and I'm doing everything I can to keep my head above water, so my poor blog has been neglected. I have some excitement that is just too good to contain, though, so I felt a Five for Friday was in order!



I am a HUGE American Ninja Warrior fan! It's amazing. If you have never watched it, you are seriously missing out! Anyway, I was excited when I heard ANW was coming to Indianapolis and even more so when I discovered that you could get FREE tickets to be in the audience! I managed to snag 2 tickets for the final Indy shooting, at 12:30 a.m. on Thursday night/Friday morning. Needless to say, I was exhausted, but it was so worth it! 


It was set up around Monument Circle, which was so cool! Unfortunately, it started with a 3 hour wait to get in, and it was so cold! I was miserable and tired, but I was not about to miss out! Luckily, all of my misery disappeared the moment I got in. I can't even describe how amazing it was to see all the excitement live! It just got better and better as the night went on! People started streaming out the later it got, which meant I got closer and closer, and I snagged the perfect spot at the bottom of the warped wall! Plus, I saw so many amazing, talented athletes! There were so many ANW celebrities! I was trying not to geek out. 




Seeing as how I didn't get home until 6 a.m. this morning, I was running low on sleep. I wouldn't exactly say I was a functioning member of society today. We earned a class reward the other day, so I decided to save our reward (sidewalk chalk time) for today, when I knew I'd be exhausted. I can be pretty clever. There was a lot of hopscotch and even some awesome art collaboration! 




I also strategically planned a STEM challenge for today. My students are obsessed with STEM challenges, and it seemed like a good fit for my current status today. It clearly was a hit! Plastic cups and jumbo popsicle sticks. Simple. Every group got 40 cups only and used them to build a tower. I measured their tower and then they recorded their data and tried again to build an even taller tower using the same number of cups. It was a success! I liked that they only had a set number of cups, because it required them to think outside the box. It was a little noisy, but they worked so hard and I can't ask for more than that! 




I promise we actually do learn stuff in my room (even today)! These photos are from today to let you know that I am, in fact, a competent teacher. Lol! 

It's the end of the year, so I'm pulling out every trick I have to spice up literacy stations. My students love the activities from Anna Brantley's Spelling Practice in a Snap packet! They are easy to implement and fun for the students. I introduced Magical Words this week and they are hooked! They actually clapped when I modeled it for them, like I was a true magician! 

The message center from A Teeny Tiny Teacher is also a big hit! I always save it for after spring break, and it's nice to have something new to get them engaged. I have always used a binder ring to connect the ends of the rope, but the carabiner is sheer genius! It's even easier than a binder ring! Also, I like the word 'carabiner' and have now taught it to my students.



More proof that we actually learn things! Fractions are tough. Post it notes make everything better, though! They make teaching fractions bearable.

Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy your weekend! Mine will be full of watching Team Ninja Warrior episodes! 

1 comment

  1. That STEM challenge looks simple and fun...and yes, it's always good to save up those "reward" days for when you're not feeling your most energetic!

    ReplyDelete