Five for Friday


It's been awhile, so I thought a Five for Friday post was in order. Plus, since Mrs. B and I are officially going to the Teacher Blogger Retreat next month, I thought I should probably step up my blog game a little.



I started integrating Brooke Brown's STEM Challenges into math last month. I don't teach science anymore, so I knew I had to find a way to fit it into my math block. I am so glad I did, because the students are obsessed! Today they saw 'STEM Challenge' listed on the schedule for math and they could barely contain themselves. 

I wasn't sure how paper airplanes would go with first graders, but I had the students work in groups of 3, plus I had a few 5th graders pop in and help out, and they really did a marvelous job. Plus, they had so much fun! 




I love my job chart, but I get tired of switching jobs every Friday afternoon, and then it takes half of the class until the next Friday to remember what their job is, so I spend all week asking, "Who is the door holder? Who is the trashcan commander? Who is...?" I also have things that pile up that certain students could handle, but not everyone, so I can't put them on the job board, so then I have to do a job that a student is perfectly capable of doing. So I decided to have students fill out a job application for their top 3 jobs, and that is their job until further notice. Plus, we are in the middle of an opinion/persuasive writing unit, so this fit in perfectly! 

One week in, and I am already in heaven! It's amazing! I wish I had done it sooner.



I was, miraculously, on top of things, and realized that March is right around the corner, which also means that MARCH BOOK MADNESS is right around the corner! My class participated last year, as seen here and here. I really need to branch out and write posts about one topic and not just jumble everything in on a Five for Friday post. Maybe I will devote an entire post just to March Book Madness. It's that good.

Anyway, I went ahead and requested all of the books from the public library and was able to score 15 out of 16 books within a week! Boom! Although, last year I got 30/32, so my success rate has actually remained the same. My goal is to read at least one book a day, so that we aren't so rushed to read all of them in the first week of the tournament. I introduced the concept and books today and the students are really excited! 





How much fun are directed drawings? Seriously, though. This was the first time I gave my students markers after they had drawn with pencil, and not only does it make them look so much better, but the kids love getting to use markers. Win-win. Plus, we rocked our micro essays! 



Last spring, we started Girls on the Run with our 4th and 5th grade girls at our school. I like to run, so I decided to help out, and it has been such a fun experience! We started our spring session this week with our 5th grade girls, and we are off to a positive start! 

Enjoy your weekend! 

1 comment

  1. Love your job application idea - as well as your March Book Madness! They both sound like great motivators! And I feel you with jumbling ideas into a Five for Friday post, but man, so hard to find the time to sit down and write an entire blog post - yikes! Anyway, enjoy your weekend!

    Ashley
    One Step Closer Teaching

    ReplyDelete