Five for Fraturday!


I'm back for a 2nd week in a row! My goal is to blog more than just Five for Friday posts, but it is what it is. I'll get there eventually. I actually only took one photo in my classroom prior to Friday, so that makes this even more impressive!




I love mixing it up in my room and trying new things, so I knew Brooke Brown's STEM Challenges were something I absolutely had to try. This was our 2nd STEM challenge and they had a blast! My goal is to do at least 2 per month, and seeing as how I did 2 in January, I'd say I'm off to a great start. We built sledding ramps using linking cubes and cardstock and they were super into it! I highly recommend Brooke's bundle for anyone wanting to easily integrate STEM into their classroom. It's simple, yet thorough, and works well even for little 1st graders. 



I don't teach science anymore, due to flexible math intervention groups that our team set up. I love teaching a small math group, but I do miss some of the fun science stuff sometimes. So, when a scheduling conflict came up on Thursday and I found out I would be teaching science the next day, I had to quickly figure out what I would be teaching. We are in the middle of a unit on matter, so I starting digging through my resources. I stumbled upon a recording sheet I made last year for ice cream in a bag, and I convinced myself to go big or go home. So we changed a liquid into a solid and enjoyed some delicious homemade ice cream. And can you believe that this was the only picture I took?! The kids had a great time shaking the bags, as they held the bag like a baby and yelled, "Shake the baby!" 

"No! Don't ever shake a baby! Don't shake the baby! Shake the ice!"

Fun times. 




Let's just keep going with this STEM theme, shall we? I am all for going outside for recess, but our team has this rule that if the temperature OR wind chill is below 32 degrees, we stay inside. I personally dislike this rule, but I don't push it too much. Except the other day when the real feel was 31 degrees and told everyone we should go outside and we did. Anyway, I often put on Netflix so we can all enjoy some peace. Sometimes, I branch out and we do some Go Noodle indoor recess. And sometimes, I decide to be a good teacher and actually let the students play. In my teacher heart, I know this is really the best choice because play is awesome for many reasons, and also because most of my toys are some form of blocks, which really is like they are getting some extra STEM in. I got out the toys TWO times this week. We were inside for 4 days, so that's half of the week! I was proud of myself. And it made me realize that I need to do it more. They were so into it and they were working together in groups so well and creating such amazing things! 




Social studies is probably one of my favorite subjects to teach in 1st grade. That might mostly be due to the fact that the curriculum is very loose and I can basically teach whatever I want and supplement to my heart's content. With that being said, teaching about Ruby Bridges is one of my absolute favorite units. Ruby Bridges was in 1st grade when she made history, so it seems fitting that students learn about her when they are in 1st grade. Also, we have an awesome Children Making History exhibit at the Indianapolis Children's Museum featuring Ruby Bridges, so students can make that connection. 

Here are some of the awesome resources I use when teaching about Ruby Bridges:


Ruby Bridges: A Simple Act of Courage resources (including a slideshow and interactive Scholastic News magazine)




History Makers Pack- Black History (awesome resource for Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, and more)



Last, but not least, I miraculously realized that it was the last week of January and got my act together to put together a January video newsletter. We need to work on using a louder presentation voice, but it's still fun.


That last one was mostly for my mom. I know she looks forward to it. Hi, mom!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

2 comments

  1. I love it. I'm hoping to get up and meet them before the school year is over. Loved seeing the wooden blocks in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They also love the lincoln logs! But their favorite, by far, is the old dollhouse. Cracks me up!

      Delete