Five for Friday!

fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]

Hopefully you will be happy to know that I did not, in fact, fall off the face of the earth. I started school, which, let's be honest, is synonymous with falling off the face of the earth. We started school on July 29th and today was our 18th day of school! It has flown by! I'm finally at the point where I feel like I have enough energy to write a quick Five for Friday post.



I just have to start with this photo because it was the highlight of my week. This little guy was in my class last year and he just wasn't quite there yet with reading and spelling. Spelling tests were always challenging for him and I think he lacked motivation. He was very upset this summer when his mom informed him that he would be repeating first grade, and he acted like I was a total stranger the first few days back to school. I am happy to say that he is now right at home and we were both so excited today because he got 100% on his spelling test! I'm pretty sure mom and I were happy when he got 5 words right last year. He told me, with confidence, as he turned it in this morning, "I got them all right!" He did! He was excited (possibly just because he gets a Pokemon card for every word he gets correct) and I praised him for all it was worth. Happy teacher moment!




Another priceless moment this week was when I told them to draw a rectangle on their desk/table with a dry erase marker. 
"You want me to write on the table?!" 
"MISS WECK, SHE JUST DREW ON THE DESK!!!" 
"Are you serious?"
"OH MY GOSH!"

It was great. 

I was just trying to take 5 minutes to do a phonemic awareness activity whole group, and it just wasn't working. They were uninterested, and only half of them were participating. So I changed my tactic. I told them to get their dry erase marker and eraser and find a desk or table to sit at. Then when I asked them to draw a rectangle on their desk, they were in shock and awe. I just had to soak it up. Once we got past the fact that, yes, I did in fact want them to draw directly on the table, we drew sound boxes and listened for how many sounds in were in the word. I used our spelling words, and we spelled them below the boxes. Double final consonants was another skill this week, so we practiced putting both letters under one box because they only make one sound. I just hit 3 skills at once and held their interest. BAM! 






I'm really hoping I can get math stations up and running soon, because I don't know how much longer I can handle whole group math. It drives me crazy and half the kids tune out and play around. Seriously, it's impossible to get anything accomplished. I don't know how other people do it. Anyway, I've been teaching them lots of math games and trying to give them plenty of opportunities to practice and build independence. I'm really lucky because my kids this year LOVE the Everyday Math games from the beginning of the year, even though I think they are the most boring games every and I can't believe anyone likes them. Mostly, they are obsessed with Monster Squeeze. Whatever makes them happy. 




Another important part of my math stations is Interactive Notebooks. I decided to be brave and we did our first interactive notebook page together this week. It took us awhile, but we got it done! I didn't have a document camera or a projector at the beginning of the year last year, and I can't even begin to express how helpful they both are. It makes modeling a thousand times easier. #sograteful




Today was such a nice day, and we'd only done one other lesson outside so far this year, so I decided to go for it with a quick living and nonliving scavenger hunt. Who doesn't love to learn outside in the sunshine? The kids were obsessed with finding spiders and then screaming, "IT'S POISONOUS!!!" and sending their friends into a running, screaming frenzy. At 3:30 on a Friday, what do you expect? Okay, there was one really terrifying looking spider. Luckily, it was inaccessible. But now I understand why they were screaming. It is scary.

Now I'm off to enjoy the weekend! I promise I'll be back soon! With classroom photos! I didn't change too much this summer, but I do have some fun additions!

8 comments

  1. Love this post! Reading it I just kept thinking "Yep! These are first graders for sure!"
    Can't believe you've already reached your 18th day! My first is this upcoming Wednesday!

    Katie
    Teaching Voracious Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always forget what first graders are like at the beginning of the year! :) I hope your first days go well!

      Delete
  2. so. I made a typo on the last one.

    HI! You blogged and posted to TPT. You are a rock star!
    PS. I miss being your neighbor.
    Mrs.B's Classroom Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! I was going to text you about my accomplishments, but I was just so exhausted from a blog post and TPT that I watched Netflix and fell asleep.
      P.S. COME BACK!!! :(

      Delete
  3. Who wouldn't love to write on a table? Great activities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun for the kids AND they love to wipe down the table when they are done, so it's a great way to get the tables clean too! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi--love your post! What math do you use for your interactive journals? Thanks-Chris

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I mostly use Reagan Tunstall's math journals and I love them!
      https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Math-Journal-Bundle-First-Semester-1276935

      Delete